Sunday, February 28, 2010

LISTENING

Today's Gospel tells about the Transfiguration of Jesus while he was on the mountain with three of his disciples. While Jesus was conversing with Moses and Elijah, the disciples heard a voice from heaven saying, "This is my chosen Son, listen to him".
Here we are beginning the second week of Lent. How are you doing with the ways in which you planned to observe Lent this year? Listening better in prayer is one thing I am trying to do this year. First of all it takes quiet and time. The quiet is easy. For me it is making the time that is a little more difficult. However, I'm working on it. Listening takes patience, faith, and an open heart. Sometimes, God doesn't speak as quickly I would like. I know the importance of waiting and staying focused in prayer. My spiritual director has said that whenever I am ready to give up, give a little more time and see what happens. Sometimes it is in those last few minutes, that I hear what I have been waiting for. I shared with my prayer group that a couple of years ago when I was on retreat, I was telling the director all the things I prayed and said to God. She asked me what his response was. I said I did not listen. I spent the whole retreat sitting still and listening.
Henry Nouwen says that when we are anxious, tense, or worried our anxiety does not allow us any space to listen. We cannot receive the voice of God. We need to create the space to listen so that we can hear the voice of God call us, "beloved". I hope you can make the time to sit still during this Lenten season to listen. I will continue to work at making time. Let us keep each other in prayer.
Oh, by the way, March 1st is my eighteenth anniversary in community. I am excited by that. Please pray a prayer of gratitude to God for calling me to this vocation. Thanks.

No comments:

Post a Comment