Saturday, July 3, 2010

LOVE AS GOD LOVES

Yesterday I was taking some time for prayer out on Presque Isle. It was a beautiful, sunny day, warm temperature, and a cool breeze. I found a quiet spot away from the families on the beach. I reflected on the line from Jeremiah, "I have loved you with an everlasting love."
The first part of my reflection was focused on how much I am loved by God and will always be loved by God. That was easy. Then my thoughts went to the gospel reading for next Sunday about the Good Samaritan.
I don't need to go through the whole story. Jesus wanted to get across to "...love your neighbor as yourself." However, my reflection invited me to love my neighbor as God loves me. Wow! God's love is everlasting and God loves us beyond what we could ever ask or imagine. Can I love like that? Can you love like that?
I think it is important for us to keep our humanity in perspective. God never asks more of us than we can handle. Therefore, we can only love to the best of our ability. It can begin with those with whom we live and work. Sometimes, they do not get the love we have. We need to reach out to those outside who are less fortunate; the poor, the hungry, the homeless, the marginalized, etc. Jesus said that as often as we do unto one of his least people, we do it unto him. That is loving God and neighbor. There are so many good people doing many good works, but as St. Paul says, if you have not love, you gain nothing.
There are many places in scripture where we can learn about love. As we do so, we can pray for the grace to have a heart that is open and compassionate.

No comments:

Post a Comment