Sunday, June 5, 2011

GENTLENESS, PEACE, JOY

This is the last week of school for me. I always find this time of year to be stressful. Trying to close up my classroom, teaching the students whose brains are already on vacation, and keeping up with the rest of life can take its toll on me. So how do I get through it all? It takes just three words; gentleness, peace, and joy to keep me on the straight and narrow.

My spiritual director gave me these words from our Maxims of Perfection which tell us to approach each task with gentleness, peace, and joy. As I begin my day I pray for peace as I get ready and leave for school. Before the students come into the classroom I pray for patience and gentleness that is so much needed at this time of year. During the day, as I realize that I have been patient and gentle, I find joy in who I am as Sister of Saint Joseph, a teacher, and a beloved of God.
I never get my classroom finished by the last day of school and always have to return for a couple of days to get done. However, by keeping those three words in the forefront of my prayer I can do the best I can knowing that it will take me longer than everyone else without getting worked up about it. So, I look at my classroom and think to myself I will be here as long as it takes therefore, be at peace.

No comments:

Post a Comment