Monday, March 21, 2011

TRANSFORMATION

The gospel reading yesterday was about the Transfiguration of Jesus on Mount Tabor. Jesus' clothes became dazzling white. Once again he was reassured that he was the beloved Son of God. I think the disciples who were with him were also reassured. My reflections led me in a couple of different directions.
Jesus was no longer just a carpenter from Nazareth. He had a mission to bring about the kingdom of God. He also taught others about God's abundant love and gracious mercy. He followed God's call wherever it took him. On Mount Tabor, Jesus must have gathered strength and confidence as well as the reassurance of his identity. He needed these qualities to continue his journey; a journey that would lead him to Jerusalem and to his death.
The disciples were also transformed. They saw a glimpse of Jesus' glory. They were in awe of the three presences they saw. These disciples followed Jesus closely. They also went where they were sent. Following Jesus must not have been easy for them. I would think that they had to experience the ridicule and hostility that Jesus experienced. They feared for their lives as well. Their journey led them to continue Jesus' mission even after his crucifixion and resurrection. Eventually, their journey also led to their death.
I could not help but remember the first time I heard the word transformation. I was thirty years old and attended a young adult retreat. The speaker talked about transformation, and although I can't remember all that he said, I do remember how his talk affected me. I knew that God was calling me to something more. I knew I was being called to transformation in my life. As I talked with him, I realized that I was beginning a new journey. This journey led to the people and places that guided me and strengthened me throughout this transformation. It was a twelve year journey of learning, praying, discerning God's will in my life. It was a journey of preparation to take the next step to a new transformation by entering community.
How has God called you to transformation? Who are the people and events that led you to be transformed?

No comments:

Post a Comment