Tuesday, August 3, 2010

HOMECOMING

On Sunday, August 1st our congregation held a homecoming event as part of our 150th year celebration. It was an event to welcome and celebrate women who were once members of our congregation. It was a time of remembering, healing, sharing, and reconnecting. About sixty-seven women returned for this celebration
As soon as I walked toward the entrance of our Community Living Center, I could feel the excitement, energy and joy that came from sisters and former members greeting one another. There was hugging and laughing, bonding of members of a "crowd", and for me a great sense of awe in what was happening. The chapel was filled and the liturgy expressed the joy that was evident. Our chaplain was also touched by the excitement and joy that he heard and saw.
After the liturgy, we continued the celebration with a brunch. During this time, people continued to move around and reconnect. Pictures were taken of some of the crowds. Some of the women took a tour of our Community Living Center and Administration Building. Some even went down to 819, our old Motherhouse, to see how it has been transformed into apartments and to once again walk the hallowed halls which held so many memories for them. The celebration continued into the late afternoon.
It was wonderful to me to share in this event. I did know a few women and I also got to meet women whose names I had heard whenever one of our sisters would share a story. It was a day that all of us will remember for a while.
I am leaving tomorrow morning for retreat, so I will not be posting for a couple of weeks. I will be by the ocean looking for my own gift from the sea. Please keep me in prayer and know that I will be praying for all of you.

No comments:

Post a Comment