Sunday, August 22, 2010

MINISTRY AND RETREAT

Hello Everyone. I arrived back in Erie on Friday. My trip driving to and from New Jersey was good with not too much construction and great weather.
My first five days at St. Mary's-by-the-Sea, located on the Jersey Shore, I was part of the staff. For the past eight years I have been cooking for those who are on vacation. Usually, there are about one hundred to one hundred and twenty people. This year, however, I was assigned to salads. Brother Dennis from Jamaica, NY and I were a good team. He had all the vegetables lined up with cutting boards and knives so that anyone who would volunteer to come and help chop them would know exactly what to do. I helped at this task when needed. While that was being done, Bro. Dennis and I worked on the special salad. There was always a regular salad bar and something special that Bro. Dennis would create. One evening it was tomato with fresh basil and oil, and another evening was a zucchini salad. We did fruit salads also. Our job was to get it all out before supper and clean it all up and put it away afterward.
I have been going down to this retreat house for fifteen years. For me these five days each year is way for me to give back for the generosity of the staff and the many graces I have received there while on retreat. It is a chance for me to meet new people and catch up with friends I have made while being there these many years. When I was finished with salads, I would go over to help dry pots and pans or put them away. With all the people working in the pantry, the cooking, and the salads, there is always a lot to clean before and after each meal. Two of my friends came down early on the day retreat was to begin so that we would have time to catch up with each others' lives. Then, that evening retreat began.
I am delighted to tell you that my gift from the sea was a Remembering Heart. During those eight days of silence and prayer my heart was drawn to the many different moments of my adult life when God touched me, called me, and was present to me. I was so aware of how my heart was filled with so much gratitude as I would share my prayer and reflection with the director each day. Like Ann Morrow-Lindberg I also collected small shells or stones to mark special moments of grace. I only brought one home.
On the evening before the Feast of the Assumption, candles are placed around the huge statue of the Blessed Mother that stands in the court yard facing the ocean. Many of us quietly sat out on the porches in awe of the beauty of the statue with the candles flickering in the dark. The candles were also lit on the evening of the feast. On that feast day, my director asked me to spend the day in prayer and reflection with the Blessed Mother. The day was filled with graces as I remembered significant moments of my past and Mary showing me how blessed I am.
As the graces of retreat continue to unfold, God continues to touch me, call me, and as He promised, is always present to me.
It would be an honor for me to hear about your retreat experience. Write me or e-mail me at s.lfusco@ssjerie.org if you wish to share.

No comments:

Post a Comment